Monday, August 18, 2008

Sweet Dreams and Flying Machines

Is anyone else losing sleep, walking around work bleary eyed because of the Olympics? I'm telling you, you know you are officially Oldsy Oldson when you are nodding off during gymnastics, thinking "Just have to see one more floor routine..". I remember during high school when the Olympics were like a summer gift - a chance to spend all the time that normally would be spent lying around listening to ani difranco reading Blake Nelson's "Girl" (and other productive stuff like that, I mean one summer I learned how to drive..on a standard car, you can't front on that) and to stay up into the wee hours watching girls my age with about 1% of my body fat perform crazy tricks. It's funny I always forget about the Olympics until the fever strikes every four years and I learn all sorts of redonkulous facts (have you heard what Michael Phelps eats everyday?!) and then promptly forget them. Hoorah Olympics! Although Boo to China for making those six year old girls put on pounds of glitter make up and tumble around for medals..

Life has been jam packed lately...I mean really can someone slow this summer down because this is vaguely ridiculous. Last week my bestie came to town and it was so good to see him! There are friends who you like to drink wine with and see once in a while and then there are friends that all of that is true and then some. Friends who are part of your family, brothers from another mother and Mikey is one of those. He was in town for a wedding, a wedding that was impeccable and both the brides were shining with happiness and looked gorgeous and featured fireworks (meep! yay wedding!). Then I began my first week as a full employee at the job and let me tell you, it's good to be officially official. I mean it's a bit anti-climatic because I've been doing the job for three months now but, after months of job interviews and worrying it's nice to have a steady position, especially with such nice folks.

And so it goes, huh? Today I biked around all of Chicago, doing 2nd Story sound stuff (we are organized now, watch out world, we are going to blow your mind with sound!), and having yummy dinner with a friend who always amazes me with what a stellar friend she is and just one of those people who makes me wish I had half the spark that they did. Now I am sitting on the couch with Ziggy (dave's cat) curled up next to me making weird kitty sleepy noises. Women are running sprints on the television (in the "birds nest" which, pardon me Olympics I know you're going for literalism here but really?! It just makes me think of this terrible tangle my hair got into one summer that only a professional hairstylist could get out while she lectured me the whole time about proper hair brushing, it was awful)...all is right with the world!

Things that are Yay!
1. Bookstores
- The boy I heart and I were biking yesterday and I got kerfuffled because we were on Halsted and there were all of these SUVs and the Air and Water Show jets were breaking my eardrums and we stopped and I was cranky and Dave said, "Do you just want to bike down the block to the Borders?" (this is why we heart him) and it was exactly what I needed, bookstores are magical places.
2. The Olympics - Awesome! Commentators, not so awesome, actual events are the awesome part!
3. Good Friendies - Always a Yay!

Things that are Boo
1iPod still broken - makes me want to implode

No comments: