Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Tide Has Come In...

Do you ever feel like you have a rush of words and stories and thoughts swirling around and sometimes it will all whoosh away and you'll have nothing eloquent or witty or even halfway non-rambely to say? That is a long way of saying that the tide of words has been out and only recently have I wanted to say, well, anything.

This summer has been much more work than any other summer - both actual, real world "wake up at 6am, christ it's early, stay at work until 6:30, god it's late" work and emotionally draining, "what is the deal with my life? why am I so fed up?" work.. Fed up is an apt description of how I feel about the dearth of words, the loss of connection I feel with friends and how unengaged I am with the theatre work I've been doing recently. It has been a bit grueling to be honest. It is "life balance" (a term that I hear more and more in the corporate world and honestly chaps my ass a bit as it aptly describes something that honestly shouldn't exist - like shouldn't work not bite into my free time and shouldn't my free time not be so much work??) It is trying to figure out if being an artist is where my head is, if what free time I do have would better serve me as actual free time. It's hard friends. This struggle between the idealist, collaborator, super excited to be there 22 year old and the exhausted, salty, just want to take a nap 28 year old.

But before this becomes an existential blather about ephemeral shit, my momma did not raise a complainer, I will regale all three of you who check my blog with this sidenote. Dave and I rode in a swan boat at Lincoln Park Zoo last week. Gasp! It was AWESOME! Part One: We biked there, which thank jeebus above because I haven't been biking enough (see paragraph above, work is sucking my time away) and I miss it. Part Two: I heart the zoo! Any zoo, even if it is the Lincoln Park Zoo which makes me a little sad, especially in the summer when all the animals look so hot and miserable. The zoo is magical, you can watch penguins and the monkeys with the weird butts and pet stinky goats...magic I say! Part Three: There are non-swan pedal boats, bypass them, as the swan is the way to pedal boat the Lincoln Park Zoo lake in style. It is romantical and also a good source of cardio exercise with the one you love. Part Four: Beware if it is hot (like it maybe was the day that we did it) because you have to wear lifejackets and you are in a giant swan that traps the heat and shoves it in your face while you madly pedal to try to get to the shade of the little island in the middle of the lake...oh, but once you get to that shade and the mad pedaling ceases, it is so sweet to drift there with the one you love, in a giant plexiglass swan while all of your worries evaporate over the long neck and beak, over the tired, hot animals and the yuppies and into the Chicago sky...Life is sweet and without all of the salt we would never know quite how sweet it was...

Things that are Yay!!:
1) My awesome manfriend and amazing friendies
- Who heart me even when I can't heart myself and that is the best hearting of all!
2) Spaced - Dave picked up the dvd set of this awesome BBC comedy by the same guys who did Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz this past week...It is brilliant!
3) Pineapple Express - Saw it sneak preview style and laughed so hard I cried (and no I was not blazed, thankyouverymuch)...I think this might be the comedy of the summer.
4) New Sigur Ros Album - I would write the title but I don't know how I would begin to have the letters on this keyboard to spell it...but listen people this is the best Sigur Ros has ever been, it has all of the great melodies but minus the drone and plus a pop sensibility...AWESOMETOWN!
5) Ms. Kitty - I just realized (literally while typing this, just.this.moment) that when I whistle it drives Ms. Kitty into a fit of crazy cat love and purring, which is redonkulous and also going to be abused to no end.

Things that are Boo:(
1) iRa is deaf in one ear
- My poor iPod can only play music in one ear (and yes, I tried different headphones, and no it did not help). This is maddening but what is even more infuriating is that Dave and I dragged ourselves out to the Apple Store, waited an hour to be served by a "Genius" and they don't fix this problem. Instead they suggested I turn over iRa and all 28GB of jams and assorted greatness over to them and pay $150 for a refurbished iPod...and that is when (in my brain) I punched the "Genius" in the face and started screaming...Super Boo!
2) People who Litter - Seriously, this is why we deserve the ice caps to melt. There are trash cans everywhere fucking clean up after yourselves people! P.S. Chances are that whatever you throw out of your car window I'm going to have to bike over so please have some consideration and buy one of those tiny car trashbags for cry-i-sake!

No comments: